Task: Become acquainted with production terminology.
- Introduction to shot types and camera movement (8 minutes)
- Using these shots, combined with Camera Movement ... to Create Emotion (Only watch the first 5 minutes)
- Now, consider the huge importance of music and sound in film! Don't have formal musical training? It doesn't matter - try the video that will teach you How Pixar Uses Music to Make You Cry. (10 minutes)
- Last, be aware of overall sound design, particularly foley. Watch the short video Where the Sounds From the World's Favorite Movies Are Born for a quick overview of how this aspect enhances any film you watch. (approx 3 minutes)
Again, identify main ideas and take a few notes on each video as you watch.
Task: Application of Learning
PSA: "From One Second to the Next" Trailer
Advertisement: Doritos Commerical (Superbowl 2010)
Task: Synthesis of Understanding
- Did you/your partner correctly categorize objective/factual aspects of filmmaking?
- Did you/your partner correctly categorize subjective/personal reactions to the videos?
- What objective techniques did you/your partner correctly identify in the videos?
- Can you/your partner identify how these objective techniques influenced your/your partner's subjective reactions?
- What do you/your partner still find confusing about these concepts?